Putting together an opening season as a new artistic director is something of a daunting experience.
Doing that in a city like Liverpool is simultaneously exhilarating and scary. More than once I’ve stood on the stage of Unity One and felt like an imposter. Thank God for pen and paper! Anyone who knows me will know I’m a sucker for notebooks which I consistently fill with scribbles, lines, diagrams and spidergrams.
One such scribble , from very early on in my time at Unity, I’ve kept going back to; adding and amending. In essence its (eight) simple ideas which I hope you’ll find embedded within (our just announced) Autumn programme.
- Building on the legacy of the last 30 years.
- Mixing fresh, edgy independent and physical theatre...
- with modern, radical new writing...
- in a programme which supports new talent,
- explores the possibilities of the digital age
- and which champions the work for under 12s.
- It needs to be a programme delivered through partnership and collaboration
- and which ensures our work and productions have a local, national and even international reach.